Monday, March 31, 2014

HRN: Memory Lane: Well Armed and Bill Casner

Each time I post a new article on my Horse Racing Nation blog, I post a notice on this blogThese notices include an excerpt from the beginning of that article and a link to the piece. My latest Horse Racing Nation article is. . .

Memory Lane: Well Armed and Bill Casner


"It was November 2012, just days before Thanksgiving. The Texas sun was shining bright, glinting off of the bay gelding whose lead rope I held in my hand. Here we stood, in Flower Mound, Texas – thousands upon thousands of miles away from his greatest triumph. It had been nearly four years since he had trounced his rivals in the world’s richest race, the Dubai World Cup, but, gazing into his kind eye, I could see the dynamic, odds-denying champion within. I raised my hand to his face, gently touching the Thoroughbred I so greatly admired and adored. Looking back at me wasWell Armed.


The 2009 Dubai World Cup was the final edition to be held at Nad Al Sheba, the breathtaking racecourse that held the first fourteen runnings of the World Cup. Well Armed, third to two-time Horse of the Year Curlin the previous year, was seeking redemption. Many doubted the gelding’s ability to win, believing he didn’t stand a chance. But Well Armed had a tendency to prove doubters wrong and overcome adversity, as did his loving owner,Bill Casner, the co-founder of WinStar Farm.  . ."

Click here to read the rest of my newest Horse Racing Nation article.

No comments:

Post a Comment